Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing issues you can face, but also the most complex. Because they’re caused by a multitude of issues and can range in complexity and size, it’s important to op for professional care. Store-bought chemicals are not a long-term solution and can cause more harm to your pipes. Instead, opt for quality care from your Castle Rock, CO drain cleaning experts at Blue River Plumbing & Heating. We’re dedicated to providing you long-term solutions, accurate services, and ongoing care to keep your plumbing flowing free of blockages.
Has your clog become a plumbing emergency? Our expert staff is available 24/7, offering plumbing repairs when you need them most, day or night.
What Causes Clogged Drains?
While you may not be able to fix all your clogging issues, at the very least you can do your part to prevent them, by knowing what causes them in the first place. Some common culprits include:
- Soap Build Up - When soap combines with minerals in water it can create soap scum which can harden and block your pipes.
- Dirt - Dirt and mud can build up in your pipes and cause clogged drains - this especially true for homes with outdoor drains and fixtures.
- Hair - One of the most popular causes of blocked drains is hair. Your hair can bond with soap and minerals and clog your drains very quickly.
- Excess Toilet Paper - Toilet paper can clog your drains if it attaches to other deposits in the pipes. Also, there is a limit to how much your toilet can handle at one time.
- Tree Roots - Tree roots can cause cracks in your pipes and blockages. As they search for water, they might grow into your plumbing, cutting off the water flow in the process.
- Minerals - When minerals build up in your pipes it can block your pipes and drains very quickly. This is also known as hard water scale.
- Food - Food waste going down the drain in your kitchen can cause problems, especially when it attaches to oils and grease in the pipes. Always be wary of what kitchen scraps and cooking grease your throw in your sink.
Accidents can happen, but by implementing rules as to what can and cannot go down your drain with your family, you can do your part to prevent clogs. As a general rule of thumb, you should never throw cooking grease down the drain. Similarly, you can use drain covers to help limit what goes into your sinks and tubs.
Why Hire a Professional for Drain Cleaning
There’s a definite temptation by homeowners to handle drain clogs themselves, however, there are several reasons you should call in an expert instead:
- Snaking Drains Can Cause Damage - You should never try to snake your drain yourself to take care of a clog. Doing this can cause further damage to your pipes and potentially chip the porcelain in your sink or toilet.
- Store-Bought Drain Cleaners are Harmful - Store-bought cleaners are a no-no. They use toxic chemicals to get the job done, which can cause pipe damage and deterioration. They’re also bad for the environment.
- It May Continue Happening - If you only clear the surface clog, it can continue happening over and over unless you deal with the deeper issue.
When you have a clogged or backed-up drain, be sure to call the service professionals at Blue River Plumbing & Heating to fix the problem. We take the time to locate and diagnose the severity of your clog. Once it’s cleared, you can expect free-flowing plumbing to last in your home.
Dealing with a tougher clog? We also offer hydro jetting services that are safe on your pipes but tough on plumbing build-up.
Let Us Help You
We wouldn’t be in this business if we didn’t care about our customers. In fact, we were given Angie’s List Super Service Award because we go above and beyond to provide superior service. We understand that clogs may seem like an easy fix, but without the right know-how, you may be doing more harm than good. The next time you have a clogged drain, give us a call to schedule for one of our technicians to come out. We’ll make sure the job is done right.